Okay, so maybe it isn’t that old in the grand scheme of things, but in game terms 4 years ago is a loooooooonnnnngggg time. After the Dragon Age 3 trailer at E3, I went back to the original to try again and see how it has held up. But I have a confession to make. I have never completed a Dragon Age game, despite how much I like them. I always play for a while, play another game and then when I come back, I start a new file and play on that.
I have made 5 characters across 2 systems in Dragon Age one, and 3 characters in Dragon Age 2, all of which have reached Act 3 (the final bit for non-Dragon Age players). Still never finished either. Never feel like it. I’ll get to it eventually, probably just before I get DA3, so I can import a finished file.
I also hold the seemingly controversial view that DA2 was pretty good. I liked the combat system and while not being able to pick a race felt a little stifling, having a fully voiced character, as opposed to DA1’s mute more than made up for it. Having your character never talk breaks the 4th wall like almost nothing else for me. And I actually kind of liked Hawke, DA2’s protagonist.
But I’ll leave DA2 to another day and talk about number 1, because as I’ve found recently, DA1 is awesome. Here are a list of some of the things that make DA1 awesome.
1. The story. It feels like a proper epic world is in your hands do something about it but it isn’t going to be easy story. I have experience only a portion of it, as I’ve never completely finished it, but just the bit’s I’ve seen are damn good. One of the best plots around.
2. The characters. Having a group of people, who respond to your actions in different ways and who can be talked to, to befriend or romance really helps the you to connect with the world.
3. Morrigan. I know she is a character, but Morrigan is cool enough to get her own bullet point. Biting wit, magic and shapeshifting are all part of a brilliant character. I would bet a not insignificant number of fans got a little happy in their pants when she appeared in the DA3 trailer.
4. This one is for PC only, but mods are well worth mentioning. There are plently of mods out there that can be installed without too much hassle.
5. The music. I won’t say any more, go listen to it. It’s up there with Lord of the Rings (okay, I said some more, so sue me)
Anyone who hasn’t picked it up yet should grab a copy, I’m sure it’s pretty cheap. I think I got the Ultimate Edition (with all the extra content) for less than £10 and that was a while ago. And anyone who has played it should go back and do it again, because they won’t be disappointed. Well they shouldn’t be, and if they are they should mod it until they aren’t.
And maybe not just DA1. I’m going to do back and play some games I haven’t touched for a while, see how they are. You should to. Might save you some money, on top of everything else.